Hope In Suffering
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Grief/Loss

3 posters

Go down

Grief/Loss Empty Grief/Loss

Post  Kunoichi Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:14 am

Grief and loss take many forms. It is not just losing a loved one, but can range from losing a job, dreams, loss of physical ability and more.

Grieving is a personal and highly individual experience. How you grieve depends on many factors, including your personality and coping style, your life experience, your faith, and the nature of the loss. The grieving process takes time. Healing happens gradually; it can’t be forced or hurried – and there is no “normal” timetable for grieving. Some people start to feel better in weeks or months. For others, the grieving process is measured in years. Whatever your grief experience, it’s important to be patient with yourself and allow the process to naturally unfold.

The stages of Grief are as follows:
Denial: “This can’t be happening to me.”
Anger: “Why is this happening? Who is to blame?”
Bargaining: “Make this not happen, and in return I will ____.”
Depression: “I’m too sad to do anything.”
Acceptance: “I’m at peace with what happened.”

If you are experiencing any of these emotions following a loss, it may help to know that your reaction is natural and that you’ll heal in time. However, not everyone who is grieving goes through all of these stages – and that’s okay. Contrary to popular belief, you do not have to go through each stage in order to heal. In fact, some people resolve their grief without going through any of these stages. And if you do go through these stages of grief, you probably won’t experience them in a neat, sequential order, so don’t worry about what you “should” be feeling or which stage you’re supposed to be in.

Source: http://www.helpguide.org/mental/grief_loss.htm

Myths and Facts About Grief

MYTH: The pain will go away faster if you ignore it.

Fact: Trying to ignore your pain or keep it from surfacing will only make it worse in the long run. For real healing it is necessary to face your grief and actively deal with it.

MYTH: It’s important to be “be strong” in the face of loss.

Fact: Feeling sad, frightened, or lonely is a normal reaction to loss. Crying doesn’t mean you are weak. You don’t need to “protect” your family or friends by putting on a brave front. Showing your true feelings can help them and you.

MYTH: If you don’t cry, it means you aren’t sorry about the loss.

Fact: Crying is a normal response to sadness, but it’s not the only one. Those who don’t cry may feel the pain just as deeply as others. They may simply have other ways of showing it.

MYTH: Grief should last about a year.

Fact: There is no right or wrong time frame for grieving. How long it takes can differ from person to person.

Source: Center for Grief and Healing
Kunoichi
Kunoichi
Admin
Admin

https://hopeinsuffering.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Grief/Loss Empty Re: Grief/Loss

Post  jamie Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:50 pm

Thank you for having a section on this. Losing my dad last summer was a tremendous loss for me, and still having a hard time most days.
jamie
jamie
Division Volunteer
Division Volunteer

Back to top Go down

Post  Kunoichi Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:22 pm

I'm sorry for your loss Sad I am glad that this area could be a good way for support for you.
Kunoichi
Kunoichi
Admin
Admin

https://hopeinsuffering.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  jamie Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:10 pm

Thank you hun, couldn't do it without all the support and great friends like you guys.
jamie
jamie
Division Volunteer
Division Volunteer

Back to top Go down

Post  Chrisofsmeg Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:20 pm

jamie wrote:Thank you for having a section on this. Losing my dad last summer was a tremendous loss for me, and still having a hard time most days.

It gets better, love. My mum's been dead for 15 years and I still think about her and miss her every day. Over time it's just hurt less and less. I don't think it'll ever really go away though. It might do - maybe I'm just a pessimist lol.

Chrisofsmeg

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down