Hope In Suffering
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Agoraphobia

2 posters

Go down

Agoraphobia  Empty Agoraphobia

Post  Kunoichi Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:08 pm

What is agoraphobia?

A phobia is generally defined as the unrelenting fear of a situation, activity, or thing that causes one to want to avoid it. The definition of agoraphobia is a fear of being outside or otherwise being in a situation from which one either cannot escape or from which escaping would be difficult or humiliating.

Phobias are largely underreported, probably because many phobia sufferers find ways to avoid the situations to which they are phobic. The fact that agoraphobia often occurs in combination with panic disorder makes tracking how often it occurs all the more difficult. Other facts about agoraphobia include that researchers estimate it occurs in less than 1 percent to almost 7 percent of the population and that it is specifically thought to be grossly underdiagnosed.

What causes agoraphobia?

There are a number of theories about what can cause agoraphobia. One hypothesis is that agoraphobia develops in response to repeated exposure to anxiety-provoking events. Mental-health theory that focuses on how individuals react to internal emotional conflicts (psychoanalytic theory) describes agoraphobia as the result of a feeling of emptiness that comes from an unresolved Oedipal conflict, which is a struggle between the feelings the person has toward the opposite-sex parent and a sense of competition with the same-sex parent. Although agoraphobia, like other mental disorders, is caused by a number of factors, it also tends to run in families and for some people, may have a clear genetic factor contributing to its development.

What are the symptoms of agoraphobia?

The symptoms of agoraphobia include anxiety that one will have a panic attack when in a situation from which escape is not possible or is difficult or embarrassing. The panic attack associated with agoraphobia, like all panic attacks, may involve intense fear, disorientation, rapid heart beat, dizziness, or diarrhea. Agoraphobic individuals often begin to avoid the situations that provoke these reactions. Interestingly, the situations that are often avoided by people with agoraphobia and the environments which cause people with balance disorders to feel disoriented are quite similar. This leads some cases of agoraphobia to be considered as vestibular function agoraphobia.

Source: http://www.medicinenet.com/agoraphobia/article.htm
Kunoichi
Kunoichi
Admin
Admin

https://hopeinsuffering.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Agoraphobia  Empty Agoraphobic

Post  dinky Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:11 pm

Hi all! I have been agoraphobic for almost 6 years. It started while I was away from home and I had a very bad panic attack, i would rate it a 10. I could not go home until the next day and by the time I did get there I was emotionally and physically exhausted. I did ok the week following the panic attack then the next weekend I had another rated 10 panic attack, again away from home, this time I was left stranded and it took me 4 hours to get home, I have been housebound since. I am doing a lot better now with my panic and anxiety but I still cant go anywhere farther than my neighbors house. I am sure I will eventually get through this it is just going to take a lot of work on my part and a lot of support from my friends and family and maybe even some people making me go out of my safezone lol. affraid
dinky
dinky

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum